Before I started my daily meditation practice I procrastinated for years about doing it. I didn’t know how, didn’t have time, and more importantly had no idea how it would benefit my life!
I can teach you how to meditate in a very short amount of time and help you to start experiencing the life changing benefits that I have come to make part of my daily self-care regimen.
I’ve trained with various meditation teachers, read books, listened to audio recordings, etc. which taught me many types of meditation. I can tell you that if I would have known how much this simple practice would’ve changed my life I would have stopped procrastinating and started this journey years ago!
Some of the early benefits of meditation are:
- Stress reduction. It’s probably one of the most common reasons people try meditation. Medical professionals promote meditation to their patients as research shows meditation can decrease levels of stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol produces many of the harmful effects of stress, such as the release of inflammation-promoting chemicals called cytokines which disrupt sleep, promote depression and anxiety, increases blood pressure and contributes to fatigue and confused thinking.
- Control over anxiety. Less stress means less anxiety. It can also reduce symptoms for people who are suffering with anxiety disorders, phobias, obsessive-compulsive behaviors, panic attacks, as well as other anxiety related disorders.
- Strengthens emotional well-being. Meditation can help improve self-image and a greater positive outlook on life.
- Self-awareness. Meditation can develop a stronger sense of yourself, becoming more aware of feelings and thoughts and helping you grow into your best self. Some forms teach you to identify thoughts that might not be serving you well and how direct them into more beneficial patterns.
- Become a kinder human being. Meditation can increase positive feelings and self-care and self-love. This practice, what is known as Metta – a type of meditation, teaches you to show yourself kindness, forgiveness and love. The natural overflow of this is an out-pour to your friends and family, then acquaintances, and even to your enemies. It’s powerful stuff!
- Helps increase focus and attention span. Several forms of meditation train you to increase your ability to redirect and maintain longer attention periods. This can lead to remember details of tasks and being able to stay on task longer.
- Reduce memory-loss. Improvements in attention and clear thinking can help to keep your mind young.
- Can help fight addictions. Meditation helps you to build a deeper connection to yourself. This increases self-awareness, self-control and can aid in helping to decrease dependencies and triggers leading to addictive behaviors.
- Improves sleep. Meditation helps promote body and mind relaxation, releasing tension. Sleep can become easier to enter and even sleep longer and more peaceful when in a peaceful state.
- Decrease blood pressure. The strain on your heart from high blood pressure can lead to poor heart function over time. Meditation can help to reduce blood pressure by relaxing the nerve signals that coordinate heart function, tension in the blood vessels and the “fight/flight” response that increases alertness in stressful situations. Regular meditation practice can help prevent stress-induced heart disease.
A Final Thought
Meditation is something you can do anywhere, anytime and everyone benefits. The meditator, and those who come into direct contact with, will benefit from the calmer, more positive and healthier version of you!
Check out some of my available meditations HERE!